Doing your homework will help you have a more successful experience.
Use this checklist to help you select a home builder or home renovator to work on or build your home.
- Contact your local home builders' association for the names of member builders and renovators You can also ask family, friends or coworkers for recommendations.
- Make sure the builder or home renovator has a permanent business location and a good reputation with local banks and suppliers.
- Find out how long they have been in the building business.It usually takesfour tosix years to establish a financially sound business. You want to make surethey will be around after the construction is complete to service any warranties.
- Check out the company's; rating and if there have been any complaints filed withyour local Building Board.
- Make surethe builder/renovator has sufficient workers compensation and general liability insurance. If not, you may be liable for any construction-related accidents on your premises.
- Ask thebuilder/renovator to provide you with names of previous customers.If they won't; beware. If they do, ask the customers if they would hire the builder/renovator again.
- Ask if you can see the builder/renovator work, both completed and in progress. Check for quality of workmanship and materials.
- Do you feel you can easilycommunicate with the builder/renovator? Remember you will be in close contact with them throughout the construction process and afterward as you live in your new home.
- Make surethe builder/renovator provides you with a complete and clearly written contract. The contract will benefit both of you. If you are having a new home built, get and review a copy of the home warranty and homeowner manual as well.
- Be cautious of unusually low-priced bids. If the builder/renovator is unable to pay for the materials and labor as the project proceeds, this may indicate a potential problem. Keep in mind that less expensive does not necessarily mean better!
We have an awesome house thanks to awesome people and we moved in 8 weeks early!" Alison & Scott
You can tell a good builder by the after sales service... yours has been great!" Lee & Kathy
Our house started at the same time as our neighbour. We have had a dream run, moved in early and would build with Abode again. Our neighbour doesn't have the same feelings for their builder." Sharon